If you are partially at fault for your accident, the amount of compensation you are able to seek may be reduced. Texas has a modified comparative negligence law, meaning you are assigned a percentage of fault for the accident, and your compensation is reduced by that amount. For example, suppose you were rear-ended by another vehicle but had a broken taillight. In that case, it could be argued that the other driver wasn’t aware you were slowing down and didn’t have time to brake. In this situation, the court may assign the other driver a fault of 80%, leaving you with 20% of the fault. As a result, your compensation would be reduced by 20%.
When you work with an experienced Odessa, TX, personal injury lawyer like Robert White, you’re working with an attorney dedicated to helping you seek the maximum amount of compensation possible for your losses. He will work hard to help prove you had the lowest amount of responsibility possible for your accident so you can seek the money you deserve.