Two Men After A Car Accident Stock Photo

Do Minor Car Accidents Need To Be Reported In Odessa?

Get Your Free Case Review!

Most of the car accidents we think about or see on television tend to be major collisions or pileups that result in fatal injuries. In fact, car accidents happen all the time and usually do not amount to much more than a simple fender bender or a chip in the paint sustained in a very tight parking spot. Property damage, if any, is typically minor at best, and a lot of the time you might not even think it necessary to report the incident.

Attorney Robert White in Odessa has been asked about this issue many times before, and the solution is usually dependent on each specific car accident. The following are some general rules to consider even if the accident was minor.

What is Texas Law?

According to Texas law, you are legally obligated to notify the police of a car accident and file a report within ten days, though only if the accident caused death or injury or if the accident resulted in property damage in excess of $1000.

While you have ten days to make the report, you should look to file one officially with the police as soon as possible after the accident. This could possibly include going to the nearest police station and making a report in person. If not, you could face a serious fine or lose your license.

Do You Have to Notify Your Insurance Company?

State laws do not normally require you to report your car accident to your insurance company, but your actual policy will typically require it anyway. Much like filing a police report, you will need to notify your insurance company as soon after the accident as possible. Failure to do this could result in denied benefits. Keeping this in mind, it is usually a good idea to report even minor incidents to your provider.

Remember also that many accidents do not show immediate injuries. Even minor bumps and collisions can lead to long term pain that might not be felt right away. Informing your insurance company early of a car accident could therefore save you from legal headaches later down the line.

What to Do After a Car Accident

Even if it was a minor car accident, it is probably best to report it to the police and your insurance company. Once you have done this, the only thing to do is get back to your daily routine and monitor both your vehicle and your health to spot any signs of long term damage or personal injury. Any future repair or medical bills you incur should be passed along to your insurance provider as well.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

Depending on the circumstances behind the car accident, you might face some resistance from other drivers or the insurance company itself. In situations such as these, having a trained personal injury lawyer on your side might be necessary.

For any further information on the legal process behind common car accidents or if you would like to bring your case to the attention of attorney Robert White, contact a representative today to see how you can get started.